Monday, March 24, 2008

Big, Cheap DIY Whiteboard

I built a 3' x 5' whiteboard for $28.80 using materials you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. A whiteboard of this size costs $200 or more, if you can find one at all.



Materials:
  • an 8' x 8' sheet of white panelboard, also called tileboard, cut down to size. The fine folks at Lowe's did this for me.
  • some 1" x 2" wood (birch?) and L-braces to frame it
  • D-ring hangers (these are nice because they affix to the back of the frame very with minimal protrusion)
  • 30-lb picture hanging hardware
  • some wood screws to affix the panelboard to the frame
Assembly is just how you would imagine. If I were to do it again, I might skip the frame and just hang the panelboard directly. Don't be afraid to try that option first. You can always build a frame later.

This thing is sweet.

Ok, back to my architectural diagrams...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.